Friday, July 30, 2010

All The Things I Thought I'd Figured Out...

My dear, darling, friend Elizabeth thinks I need to teach.   

Yes...Me

Yes...Teach

And not just teach anything (although she'd be very happy with that)...but specifically acting (although Shakespeare WAS mentioned as well).   

There is a problem with this...the problem being I want to BE acting not TEACH acting. 
 "Well...why not coach then?"   
Um....hmmm...
"You could coach people in memorization...and cold readings....and auditions"
Um...well...

OKAY........ the thing is..... I could DO that! 
 I could totally see myself doing something like that.  
But how in the hell do you actually get STARTED???   How do you ADVERTIZE something like this and what the heck do you CHARGE?????   

I know how I memorize...I know how to help most people memorize...I know the tricks and the follow-through to anylizing a script.   
I know how to cold-read.   I am (if I do say so myself)  really good at cold readings (ask my directors).    I know how I got that way, and while some of it is finding that magic moment...a LOT of it is technique.    It's learning how to read a scene and make instant choices...learning how to make the lines on a page come alive and about not being afraid to be bold.
I know how to prep an audition piece.   I can help someone narrow choices down to one or 2 good contrasting monologues...help them memorize them...help them prep them for performance.  

These are things I enjoy doing....for myself and for others.  

Now....NOW comes the rub...how do I market something I love?

No comments: